Wednesday, February 25, 2015

No Ordinary Grilled Cheese Sandwich...Fig Jam and Honey Make This Special

Crispy, Buttery, Gooey, Sweet, Salty Goodness.

 
This is an adapted Wolfgang Puck recipe.
"A twist on a classic."
I was making only two sandwiches so I didn't measure or follow his measurements exactly. This is my, no measuring tools version.

Ingredients
White, Sourdough or bread of your choice (I used Panella Bread)
Honey
Fig Jam
Unsalted Butter
Sharp White Vermont Cheddar
Mozzarella Cheese
Sea Salt
Step 1:  Preheat your skillet on Medium low heat and spread fig jam on one slice of bread and drizzle honey on the other.  I just put the amount I thought I would like of and it worked out fine.

Place two slices of cheddar on the slice with fig jam and place mozzarella on the honey slice.  I used Boar's Head Sharp White Vermont cheddar and since we always have mozzarella for my pizza addict son in the fridge, I just used that.  It was Wegman's brand low moisture shredded (obviously) mozzarella.
 
Spread Unsalted Butter on one side and place buttered side down on the heated skillet and let cook for 5 minutes.  Butter the other side and after the first side has finished cooking, flip your sandwich and cook for 5 minutes.  You don't want to rush this process. You may be tempted to crank up the heat and cook it fast and smash it with the spatula, but don't!!  Letting it grill slowly, ensures perfection.  Leave it alone. 


Now put it on your plate, sprinkle with sea salt, let me say that again...sprinkle with sea salt!   Do Not skip this step.  This adds just the right balance of salty, sweet to this sandwich.  Now pick it up and eat it and you'll never eat a plain grilled cheese sandwich again.  And if you don't have fig jam, try it with whatever jam you can get your hands on. It might still be great.  I loved it with the honey, my hubby doesn't really like honey so I left it off of his sandwich and he still thought it was amazing.  This will be put on the regular lunch rotation. Yum!

Yes, it's delicious!

1 comment: