Saturday, June 2, 2012

Sticky Chicken, Donuts and Life....


I will start this blog entry off with the recipe I made tonight because I know it's always best to start an entry off with visual stimulation.  I will hook you with deliciousness and keep you my wit and humor. Ha!  This recipe was inspired by a simple craving for Chinese, and Chinese chicken wings with some oomph!  I simply googled, "Chinese Chicken Wings," came upon a youtube video, watched and went upstairs to the kitchen and got to cooking.  I had to make two changes because I was in no mood to go to the store so I got creative with what I had on hand.  I present to you, finger lickin Chinese Chicken.  Enjoy! And if you are wondering, yes, those are my wings, photo taken with my iphone!

Cripsy Sticky Chinese Chicken....mmmm, mmmm, good!

Ingredients:
2 pounds chicken wings
2 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup rice flour (I used Tempura Flour)
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 Tablespoon sugar

Sauce:
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce (I used 1/4 cup of lite soy sauce, and 1Tbsp of Hoisin sauce and water added to it to make another 1/4 cup because I ran out of soy sauce)
2 Tablespoons vinegar any kind, (I used white but the original guy used black)
6 garlic cloves
1/4 cup chopped ginger


Put eggs, salt, water, rice or tempura flour, cornstarch and sugar in a bowl and mix.  Add chicken wings to mixture and prepare the sauce.  Put all the ingredients for the sauce into a saucepan and reduce by half on medium heat.  Deep fry the wings in oil at 375 degrees for 9-10 minutes until golden and crispy and set on rack with a towl under it to let excess oil "fall" off.  After wings are done, put about 1/4 of the sauce on the bottom of a clean and dry bowl, add your delicious crispy fried chicken, put a lid or plate over the bowl and shake, shake, shake until your wings are fully covered in the saucy deliciousness.  Serve with jasmine rice (or your favorite rice) and a wonderful hearty salad (so you won't eat too many wings) and I bet you after making these delicious and simple wings you will never order out again!!  Well, maybe not ever again, at least for quite some time.  Lick fingers when done and then go and clean your kitchen.


 French Toast Doughnuts....
My husband made french toast for breakfast and had about a cup full of leftover egg mixture left.  I added flour and cinnamon to it, deep fried it, dusted it with powdered sugar and drizzled with maple syrup. Everyone loved it.  The original dipping mixture for the french toast has heavy whipping cream, eggs, cinnamon, vanilla and a splash of regular milk with some vanilla sugar.  I don't have exact measurements because he just throws it all in the bowl with measuring but any standard recipe with do.  I will certainly make these again and try to improve on it.  The mixture before frying should be like a sticky cake batter consistency.  Does that make sense?  Give it a try.  Now click on "read more" and you can get a life update.  Go ahead, you know you want to. :)


I have been away for a bit as I have somehow, as a mother of 4, become quite busy.  I have definitely still been in the kitchen and still homeschooling but not taking the time to take pics and write blog entries.  Well, I'm back and hopefully as the school year has slowed down I will be able to post more frequently.  As I sit back on my sofa, feet propped up, laptop open and "Two Fat Ladies" playing on the The Cooking Channel, I am reflecting on what has been going on the past few weeks.  I have some help at home now because my dear husband has been traveling quite a bit this year and for sanities sake I told him that he had better get me another adult to help out!  We have had someone for the past month and she has worked out quite well so far and we are working out all the kinks that I, of course, anticipated would happen whenever you are "training" someone how you run your home and how they fit into that.  More about that later.

Our family, sans hubby who was in Rwanda on business, took a wonderful road trip to Tennessee to see my neice graduate from High School.  I drove the whole way but on the way home decided to stop off at the ole trusty Hampton Inn and got a nice suite to rest in.  I could have taken the whole 12 hour drive but I left Tennessee far later than I had planned to and after several late nights I was in no condition to continue driving.  I unfortunately didn't experience any great food finds along the way and was kicking myself when I drove by a "Hot Boiled Peanuts" sign.  I was certain that I would come up on another stop that offered them but I was W-R-O-N-G, wrong. I am happy to report that I found some green peanuts in an international market near my home and will be boiling some peanuts tomorrow!

On the homeschool front, we are finishing out the year with just math, history and reading and will be done by months end.  I'm trying to finish strong but I expect to continue math through the summer because the girls have some catching up to do.  It has been quite an adjustment with the baby who just seems to get busier and more active than all my children ever were at her age.  Thank God that the girls do their math and history courses online.  I hope to have next year planned out within the next 30 days and we will also be remodeling the homeschool room.  I will post before and after pics but that won't be until later in the summer.

I think that is enough for now. My bed is calling and I know my sweet baby will have me up in no time!  If you try the recipes, let me know what you think.  The link to the original video for the chicken... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gseS1Z6pc4U




No comments:

Post a Comment