Thursday, March 29, 2012

Day Four (4)....LOT, TMOT...most eggcellent!!

An eggcellent adventure... 

Well today was a simple day and because I was dealing with a sick 3 year old and a morning doctor's appointment for my 8 month old, I didn't spend too much time in the kitchen.  While relaxing in bed this morning with my older girls we decided to brain storm breakfast in a jar ideas and decided to try an 'omelette' in a jar.  We have done oatmeal in a jar, an eggs, meat and grits parfait, granola, etc...but we wanted something different.  We came up with some other kooky ideas that we will try later but figured the omelet was the most foolproof.  As we found out later, maybe not. 

The problem was I did zero research on how to bake eggs in a jar so I had no clue as to what temperature to cook it at, how far to fill up the jars or how long it would take to cook.  Let's just say that I looked at the clock after it was in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes and noticed that the time was 10:15!  My daughter's appointment was at 11:00 and guess who hadn't showered yet?  Me!!  I cranked the oven up to 375 degrees and had to decide whether to be late or save the eggs.  Lucky  for me hubby was going so he took off with all but one of the kiddos so I could finish up in the kitchen and get dressed.  So as you will see, the pics aren't fancy and the food styling just didn't happen today but remember, I'm in rush so please be gracious.

We headed to the kitchen and cooked up some bacon, sausage and the little bit of ham we had left and that was one thing I could check off the 'little' list. I beat some eggs in a bowl, added some smoked salt and some pepper and we filled a half pint jar about half way and then tried them in a pint jar as well. As you can see in the pics that follow, we overfilled the half pint jars and the pint jars were a much better option but we used 4 eggs in each pint jar, yes I said 4 eggs. No one should eat 4 eggs at a time on a regular basis. Check it out.

 The ingredients were applewood smoked bacon, sausage patties, ham slices, 8 eggs, smoked salt and fresh ground black pepper and one of my favorites pecorino romano cheese.


 These two half pint jars were slathered with butter in the inside and filled with two eggs each.  I guess they really are a bit more than half full.  Add the egg and some of each type of meat put on a cookie sheet in a 375 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes.  Just keep checking them every five minutes, remember I was rushed and a bit distracted. 


This is what they looked like when they came out.  A bit too much egg and some of it was still soft on the very top but I just stirred it around and the heat cooked it nicely.  Any longer and you would completely dry out your eggs.


 After stirring it up it fell a little bit so it actually fit in the jar and then I topped it with the cheese.
These two smaller ones were for my 10 and 11 year old. My three year old is not into eggs yet.  They both gave it a big thumbs up!

Here are the ones in the pint sized jars and instead of butter I sprayed them liberally with canola oil Pam cooking spray and also added spinach.  One for me and one for the hubby.  Put in spinach, whisked eggs and meats.

 Fresh out of the oven! 

 Mixed it up for hubby because I would have to take these to go!  Looks good to me!


 Did I tell you that I whipped up some slow cook grits to go on top of mine?  Yes, I know, I should have been in the shower but I just really wanted those grits on mine.  Hubby hates them!!  I added some American cheese on top of the eggs along with the Pecorino Romano cheese, then added the grits and a pat of butter.

 Feeling like Paula Deen.  Mmmmm, butter!  Wasn't I just juicing the other day? Oh well, everything in moderation!

 All mixed up and ready for a lid so I could eat it on the go.  I couldn't eat it in the car because it was too hot and stayed quite warm. We were actually in the examination room and I pulled it out to start eating and my husband said, "you're going to eat that now and in here?"  And I said, "Of course! I'm starving and you know how cranky I get when I'm hungry."  He ate his after we left and called me from the car on his way home and said that his was really good too and he liked it a lot!! 


My lovely little lunch bag that kept all this deliciousness warm.  Oh, and if you add grits, I recommend you eat it with a spoon.



No comments:

Post a Comment